Suspect charged in armed robbery

-A A +A
By Staff

UPDATED May 16, 2018:

Two men accused of breaking into a home in New Haven last month were indicted Wednesday on various charges.

Douglas J. Blanton, 19, of Bardstown, was indicted on two counts of attempted murder for accusations that he shot through a door in the direction of two of the home’s residents. Blanton’s bail was set at $500,000 cash only, plus conditions.

Blanton and William F. Humes, 20, of Louisville, who was also indicted Wednesday, are charged with complicity to first-degree robbery for the incident, which occurred on April 24. They are accused of taking money, a wallet and an Xbox from the residence. Hume’s bail was set at $100,000 cash only, plus conditions, and their arraignments are set for June 7.


Original Story:

Detectives with the Nelson County Sheriff’s Office have identified two suspects in the armed robbery that occurred at a New Haven residence early Tuesday morning and have arrested and charged one of the men.

Douglas J. Blanton, 19, of Elizabethtown, is charged with first-degree robbery and attempted murder.

The other suspect is William F. Hume, 20, of Louisville.

They were identified, and Blanton was arrested, through the efforts of Det. Jamie Ferrie, according to a post on the Sheriff’s Office Facebook page.

The sheriff’s office had earlier posted photos of the suspects in a convenience store and asked for help identifying them.

One of the residents who was home Tuesday when the home invasion happened about 2:30 a.m. described to the newspaper what he witnessed.

Matt Renaud was asleep when his girlfriend woke him to tell him she thought there was someone in their home. At first, she thought their roommate had tripped over something in the kitchen, but then she kept hearing loud noises.

Renaud said that when he got to the bedroom door, he saw two men in the living room and one had a gun pointed at him.

“He said, ‘Stick ’em up and get on the ground.’ I didn’t agree with either of those statements, so I slammed the door in his face,” Renaud said.

As soon as he did, he said, bullets started coming through the door, and one of them grazed his face. Splinters from the wood also stuck in his neck.

“I was holding the door while they were trying to get in,” he said. “They were trying to kick it in.”

His girlfriend was yelling at him to call someone, but his phone was on a charger somewhere in the room, and he couldn’t remember where.

Renaud said his roommate was asleep in another bedroom when the men woke him, pointed a handgun at his face and demanded money.

They got the roommate’s wallet and debit card but not his or his girlfriend’s, Renaud said.

He was up late that night, he said, helping officers look for shell casings.