Historic ‘Rose Greenwell Home’ destroyed in fire

-A A +A
By Kacie Goode

A charred horseshoe rests amid the debris of crumpled tin and smoldering lumber. A few small flames still whip in the wind near one of the two rock chimneys, the only parts of the ‘Rose Greenwell Home’ left standing Friday after an early morning fire.


“I remember I was about 10 years old when I stayed all night” in that house, said Magistrate Keith Metcalfe, whose Aunt Rosey owned the property. “It’s probably one of the oldest buildings, I believe, in Culvertown that still was standing that had some kind of significance.”

The old home on Quarry Loop just past Culver’s store has rested on the property for more than a century. It was a building with a lot of history. Years ago, the log home sheltered travelers in two of its six rooms, and was a place where stagecoaches stopped for the night and traded horses.

In a page from Sarah B. Smith’s “Historic Nelson County, Its Towns and People,” former Magistrate Leo Caldwell shares a tale of his father-in-law, Miles Young, who was born in the house and lived there until 1898. Miles’ father, Stanley, lived there when three men tried to rob him and he fought them off, killing one of the robbers. The old rock wall and steps in front of the home are also noted in the book.

In addition to its history, the home was significant to Greenwell’s family and community members who visited the property over the years. On Friday, as they monitored the still-smoking remnants, a few family members reminisced about the times they had spent at the home playing tag around the yard or visiting grandparents.

Rose Greenwell lived in the home for several years, and Metcalfe remembered her cooking on an old wood stove in the corner. The stove could be seen beneath some of the debris Friday. The home has been vacant for a while, but it was still dear to those who knew of it. After news of the fire spread, some took to social media to share their memories of visiting “Miss Rosey” and the old house.

According to Rolling Fork Fire Chief Ronnie Greenwell, firefighters were called out around 12:30 a.m. and stayed until about 2:30 a.m. fighting the blaze. Nelson County Fire and Rescue was called out to assist. The cause of the fire was still undetermined as of press time for this edition.