• Fiscal court welcomes two new magistrates

    Nelson Fiscal Court informally welcomed two new magistrates Wednesday. Although they have not been sworn in, Keith Metcalfe and Jeff Lear attended the fiscal court meeting, as they did during their campaign.

  • Republican Party finds reason to celebrate

    The Republican Party of Nelson County’s annual GOP Victory Party had to move to a bigger space this Election Day as Republican candidates appeared in more races than usual throughout Nelson County, and a Republican windfall was anticipated nationally.

    Usually held in the bar area in Xavier’s Restaurant, the party this year moved to the third floor of Spalding Hall, where couches, dining areas, a bar and a buffet were set up, with the focal points at two television sets — one tuned to FOX News, one to local station PLG.

  • Voters elect first Republican magistrate

    No one can say with absolute certainty that Jeff Lear is the first Republican magistrate in Nelson County’s 225-year history, but local historian Dixie Hibbs said she can’t remember ever reading about one. And there definitely hasn’t been one since 1923, County Clerk Phyllis Mattingly said after looking through some election records.

    “We just didn’t have Republican candidates for many, many years,” Mattingly said.

  • Kids Voting echoes official results

    Jesse Zeigler, 11, has voted before, and he voted again in the 2010 general election Tuesday. It’s true, he’s still too young for his vote to sway elections, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t counted.

    Zeigler was one of 1,174 kids throughout Nelson County who participated in Kids Voting USA, a national nonprofit effort founded in 1988. Nelson County kids started participating in 2005.

  • Guthrie keeps House seat two-to-one

    Final results for the U.S. House of Representatives, 2nd district, rolled in after press time Tuesday night. Incumbent Republican Brett Guthrie, who was already showing a substantial lead, tallied 155,659 votes at the end of the night, clinching 67.9 percent of the vote for a victory over challenger, Democrat Ed Marksberry. Marksberry received 73,756 votes — 32.1 percent.

    Marksberry had a slightly better showing in Nelson County, in which he totaled 37.6 percent of the vote to Guthrie’s 62.4 percent.

  • Floyd holds onto State Representative seat

    Republican incumbent David Floyd secured a solid victory in the race for 50th district state representative Tuesday. Floyd defeated Democratic challenger Eddie O’Daniel with 63.43 percent of the vote, or 10,325 votes, according to the Kentucky State Board of Elections. O’Daniel tallied 5,953 votes, 36.57 percent of the total.

    In Nelson County, Floyd clinched 63 percent of the vote with 8,894 to O’Daniel’s 5,225.

  • Fairfield mayor, city council re-elected

    Tom Trent, who ran uncontested for the position of Fairfield mayor, made it official Tuesday. Trent, who has been Fairfield mayor for one four-year term, received 50 votes.

    Trent said he was happy that election day would soon be over because it would bring an end to all the negative campaigning.

    “If people would just concentrate on some of the things that they can do to better the next four years and present those ideas, the public … would pay more attention to them,” Trent said.

  • Paul defeats Conway for U.S. Senate seat

    With 118 of 120 counties reporting and 97 percent of the vote in Thursday afternoon, Republican Rand Paul held onto his win over Democrat Jack Conway for a seat in the United States Senate. Paul totaled 755,216 votes for 55.74 percent of the total vote, while Jack Conway’s 599,617 earned him 44.26 percent of the total, according to the Kentucky State Board of Elections.

    In Nelson County, Paul scored 7,706 votes, 54.24 percent of the total. Conway nabbed the rest, 6,502 votes for 45.76 percent of the Nelson County vote.

  • Voter turnout was high

    A hard-fought and closely watched U.S. senate race and a number of competitive local contests brought an above average number of voters to the polls in Nelson County.

    In the 2006 mid-term election, around 42.4 percent of registered voters cast ballots, but Tuesday that number saw an 8 percent bump as 14,686 voters, about 50 percent of all registered voters, showed up at the polls.

    It was the final election for outgoing county clerk Phyllis Mattingly, and she said precinct officers reported steady turnout across the county all day.

  • Watts retains judge exec. seat

    After a campaign during which plenty of mud was slung his way, incumbent Nelson County Judge Executive Dean Watts, Democrat, held on to his seat by a healthy margin, 41 percent. Watts received 5,959 votes, defeating challengers Tim Hutchins, Independent, who received 4,615 votes, and Peter Trzop, Republican, who received 3,958 votes.