Three die on area roadways

-A A +A

Fatal weekend crashes occur on Ky. 245, Blue Grass Parkway

By Staff

Three people were killed in two separate wrecks Saturday on Nelson County roadways.

A brother and sister from Cox’s Creek died in a collision Saturday night on Ky. 245 near Rooster Run in a two-vehicle collision.

When firefighters arrived, they found two people dead and three others who needed medical attention.

Johnathan Blair, 23, and his sister, Amaris Blair, 22, both of Cox’s Creek, were declared dead on the scene, according to a media release by Kentucky State Police Post 4 in Elizabethtown. Three others, including a 7-year-old passenger, were transported to Flaget Memorial Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

According to KSP, Amaris lost control of her 2002 Volkswagen Jetta in the northbound lane of Ky. 245 and spun into the southbound path of a 2005 Chevrolet pickup, driven by Christopher Greer, 37, of Bardstown.

Greer struck the Jetta in the passenger door. Both vehicles stopped in the southbound emergency lane still stuck together, according to police.

Greer and his two passengers, Ronald Greer, 64, and the 7-year-old, both of Bardstown, were transported to Flaget Memorial Hospital and later to University Hospital in Louisville with non-life threatening injuries.

Alcohol does appear to have been a factor as to why Amaris lost control of her vehicle, according to a Kentucky State Police press release. Toxicology results are pending for both drivers.

Earlier in the day, a wreck on the Blue Grass Parkway near the 15-mile marker claimed another young life.

Molly McBride, 21, of Morehead, was declared dead after EMS arrived on the scene of a two-vehicle collision, according to a Nelson County Sheriff’s Office report.

McBride, a student at Morehead State University, was driving a 2007 Honda Accord in the westbound lane of the Blue Grass Parkway and attempted to pass a 2011 Ford Explorer, driven by Jessica Goode, 32, of Taylorsville, according to the Nelson County Sheriff’s Office traffic collision report compiled by Deputy Brian Voils.

Goode told police she lost control of her vehicle after she felt something hit her vehicle hard from behind. McBride appeared to have crossed the centerline and struck Goode’s vehicle on the back driver’s side near the tire.

According to the report, both drivers began to lose control of their vehicles, drove through the emergency lane and left the roadway.

McBride struck multiple trees and went airborne, coming to a final rest with the nose of the vehicle face down and the rest of the car being supported by a tree, according to the report.

Goode entered into a ditch line after leaving the roadway, according to the report. Her vehicle then rolled over and stopped upright against a tree. Goode and a juvenile patient were taken to Flaget Memorial Hospital for treatment.

Goode and the juvenile patient later told police that they sustained bumps and bruises from the accident.

A witness to the accident, John Boland, of Bardstown, told police he was driving his semi-truck 70-75 miles per hour and said McBride passed him at an excessive speed.

Toxicology results are pending for McBride, according to the report.

The Morehead student newspaper, The Morehead News, reported that McBride’s father is the dean of MSU’s College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences.